Renewing your student visa

You need to make sure that your visa is valid for the whole time you’re studying in New Zealand. Find out how to renew your student visa.

To renew your student visa, you will need to reapply for a new, updated visa. Your student visa must name Te Herenga Waka— Victoria University of Wellington as your place of study and include your current programme of study.

If you wish to change your programme of study to one that is not stated on your current visa, let the Visa Office at International Student Experience know immediately.

How to apply for your student visa

From 17 December 2021, new and returning international students must apply for student visas through Immigration Online. For more information, contact Immigration New Zealand (INZ).

For assistance with your visa application, email or visit our office located at level 2, Easterfield building, Kelburn Parade, Wellington.

When you apply through INZ you will need to:

  1. Re-enrol to study—you must be studying full-time with either 45 points or three courses per trimester (unless you are in your final trimester). You need to enrol for a full year and pay for a full year, unless this is your final trimester.
  2. Receive your Confirmation of Study
  3. Pay your tuition fees and receive your Fees Assessment
  4. Provide sufficient funds for your living costs and outward travel
  5. Provide a medical and/or police certificate, if applicable

Apply for your visa online:

  1. Go to the INZ website.
  2. Create a RealMe account within the INZ website, when prompted, before you start your application.
  3. Complete the INZ online application form. You will need to refer to your Confirmation of Study for your programme details, your Fees Assessment for the evidence of tuition fees, and Student Records for the academic performance
  4. At the end of the form, upload a PDF file of any requested documentation.

Your RealMe account is the best place to check for updates on the status of your visa. Make sure you regularly log into RealMe and look through all of your documents for any new information from INZ.

Your passport

It is your responsibility to ensure you hold a valid passport. Please ensure your passport is valid for at least three months after the expected end date of the visa that is being applied for.

To renew your passport, you must contact authorities in your home country.

Medical certificate and x-ray

As part of your visa application, you may need to provide a medical certificate, or chest x-ray certificate. Medical and chest x-ray certificates must be submitted to INZ within three months of being completed.

After submission, they are valid for 36 months. If you are renewing your visa and it has been more than 36 months since your last submission, then you may need to provide one or both certificates. If you are still not sure, please contact INZ.

It is your responsibility to contact INZ regarding the validity of your medical, chest x-ray, and police certificates, and to find out whether you need to submit new certificates.

Police certificate

As part of your visa application, you may need to provide a Police Certificate.

Police certificates must be submitted to Immigration New Zealand within six months of being issued. They are valid for student visa applications for 36 months after the date of issue. If your home country Police Certificate is not in English, you must have the certificate translated and submit both the original Police Certificate and the translated version.

Visit Immigration New Zealand for more information on medical and chest x-ray certificates or police certificates.

Changing your visa status

If you have changed your student visa to a work visa or a visitor visa during your studies, you must contact the International Student Advisor-Visa immediately. Please contact if this applies to you.

If you are granted a resident visa or permanent resident visa during your studies, you must let the International Student Advisor, Visa know immediately.  Contact This could affect your Studentsafe Inbound University insurance policy and any medical claims you can make. Please also contact if this applies to you.

Find out how changing your visa status can affect your eligibility for insurance.

Find out more

If you have questions about applying your student visa or would like more information, contact our international student support team:

  • email
  • phone: +64 4 463 5350
  • or visit Level 2, Easterfield Building, Kelburn Parade on Tuesday–Thursday (10 am–12 pm).

Visa office hours