Support for students who have been alleged to have engaged in harmful behaviour

There are options for seeking support and advice both on and off campus if you have been alleged to have engaged in harmful behaviour.

The Student Interest and Conflict Resolution team can provide you confidential information and advice about the support available within and external to the University. They can help you understand what is involved in a formal misconduct process, what your rights are, and work with you to identify your needs and ensure you are receiving appropriate support.

The Student Interest and Conflict Resolution team will provide different staff members to work with you if we are also supporting a complainant to ensure that there is no conflict of interest.

There are a number of other support options available for you—both on and off campus:

Victoria University of Wellington Students’ Association Student Advocate

The Victoria University of Wellington Students’ Association Student Advocate is 100 percent independent from the University and can help you understand your options, rights and responsibilities, and help raise an issue or make a complaint.

You can email:, call 04 463 6984 or text 022 563 6984, or visit the VUWSA Reception, Level 4, Student Union Building, Kelburn Campus

Student Health and Counselling (Mauri Ora)

Students can access general practice medical services and confidential counselling support on campus.

You can find more information about Mauri Ora on their website or by calling 04 463 5308.

Hall of Residence

If you are living in one of the University’s residential halls and want to talk to someone you can contact:

Need to Talk

Need to Talk is a free call or text anytime, 24 hours a day. You can talk or text a trained counsellor for free.

You can contact them:

  • if you are feeling anxious or just need someone to talk to
  • if you are feeling down or a bit overwhelmed.

You can text or call them on 1737.

Safe To Talk

This is a 24/7 phone and web-based service to a trained specialist at any time/information about medical, emotional, and behavioural issues related to harmful experiences.

They provide:

  • contact with a trained specialist at any time, day or night seven days a week
  • answers to questions about sexual harm
  • referral to specialists in your area
  • information for family and friends wanting to help someone.

They can speak to you in over 40 different languages—ask about the language line when you call.

You can call them on 0800 044 334.


WellStop provides assessment and a range of treatment services to adults of any gender who have engaged in harmful or abusive sexual behaviour. Further information is available on the WellStop website