Post Study Work Visa

International students who have graduated with a New Zealand qualification can apply for the post-study work visa.

If you have completed a programme at Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University of Wellington, you may be eligible for a Post Study Work Visa.

International graduates will no longer need to be supported or sponsored by an employer or rely on an offer of full-time work on this new visa.

For more information on how these changes might affect you, your partner or spouse, or your family, go to the Immigration New Zealand website.

You must apply for the Post Study Work Visa within three months of the end date of the student visa that allowed you to study for the eligible qualification. PhD students can apply up to six months after the end date of their student visa. You should have a valid New Zealand visa at all times while in New Zealand.

Who can apply

You can apply if you’ve successfully completed, in New Zealand, a Bachelor's, Master’s or PhD qualification.

Find out more about the criteria for the Post Study Work Visa and your options to work after your studies from Immigration New Zealand.

Post Study Work Visa for PhD students

You can apply for a Post Study Work Visa after you submit your thesis for examination. When you apply, provide the confirmation of submission from the University.

How to apply

You must apply directly to Immigration New Zealand via Immigration Online. Go to the Post Study Work Visa page on the Immigration New Zealand website, check that you meet the criteria and then apply directly online.

You’ll need:

  • evidence that you’ve completed your qualification and are eligible to graduate
  • a recent bank statement showing a balance of at least NZ$5,000
  • your passport
  • a recent passport-sized photograph.

More information

The Immigration New Zealand website has more information to help you choose the right visa option for you.