External complaints processes

Should you not be satisfied with the outcome of your complaint, there are further resolution options external to the University.

Pastoral Care Code obligations

Under the Pastoral Care Code, the University has responsibilities and obligations around how we respond to complaints. These include ensuring there are external options for when:

  • the University does not accept the complaint (or either you or the University perceive the University does not have the cultural competency to deal with it)
  • you are not satisfied that the University has made adequate progress towards resolving your complaint
  • you are not satisfied with the University's internal complaints process or outcome.

We ask that you raise any concerns with (or make a formal complaint to) the University before engaging with any external complaints process. You can learn more about them on the New Zealand Qualification Authority (NZQA) website.

You can contact the following depending on the subject matter of the dispute:


Quality of service

  • NZQA as the code administrator—if you believe the University is failing to meet the outcomes or requirements of the Pastoral Care Code.
  • Universities New Zealand or NZQA—if you want to complain about the delivery or quality of your course or study.
  • Tertiary Education Commission—if you have concerns about the University's performance against its commitment, performance standards, or compliance with the Commission's funding conditions.

Financial and contractual disputes

  • StudyLink—if you are concerned about your student loan, student allowance, or student loan repayments.
  • Study complaints—if you are a domestic or international student who has a contractual or financial dispute with the University (up to $200,000).
  • Disputes Tribunal—if you have a contractual or financial dispute up to $30,000.