Wellington International Leadership Programme
If you're interested in global issues, cultural diversity, and social change, WILP is an ideal way to get involved and kickstart a globally-engaged career.
The Wellington International Leadership Programme (WILP) is a free, self-paced, co-curricular programme aimed at enhancing any degree and making participants more globally aware.
This interdisciplinary programme advances your ability to critically engage with global issues; presents creative, diverse and innovative approaches to global citizenship while enhancing your intercultural competence, leadership potential, and employability. It also creates opportunities for international experiences and global connections.
Complete the programme over the course of your degree by choosing from a wide range of interactive seminars delivered by academics from across the university and visiting experts; experiential learning and volunteering opportunities both on campus and beyond; and speaker events hosted by the University, the diplomatic community and other internationally engaged organisations. There is no specified timeframe to complete the three components. You just need to complete them before the end of your degree, so it can be added to your final academic transcript.
Upon completion of WILP, your achievement will be noted on your academic transcript alongside your formal qualifications, and you will be invited to the annual Leadership Programmes Awards ceremony where a final certificate is awarded.
Participating in WILP will enable you to:
- enhance your knowledge of global issues and your intercultural competence
- learn about key challenges facing the world and how these connect to our communities
- develop your leadership potential and skills to effect positive change
- take advantage of the international discourse circulating in Wellington, the political and cultural capital of New Zealand
- connect with students and academics from around the University and the world
- build your professional networks and increase your employability
- become eligible for the Global Leader Grant (up to $1500) to help support an exchange semester abroad and other selected opportunities.
WILP is self-paced and self-directed. You can build the programme to complement your studies and personal interests, as well as challenge yourself to learn about new subjects and ways of understanding the world.
To complete WILP you are required to participate in three areas:
- seminars: complete 12 seminars (four compulsory, eight elective) and submit personal reflections for each
- speaker events: attend five speaker events and submit personal reflections for each
- experiential activities: gain 200 points of experiential activities that are global or intercultural in nature.
There is no specified timeframe to complete the three components. You just need to complete them before the end of your degree, so it can be added to your final academic transcript.
Read the information for participants for further details on each component of the programme.
International study abroad and exchange students can complete a shorter tailored version of programme.
Speak to one of the Wellington International Leadership Programme team.
Phone: +64 4-887 3969