Learn how to make a claim on your Studentsafe Inbound University policy, as well as renewals and family insurance.

Making a claim

If you’re on the Studentsafe Inbound University policy, you might need to make a claim if you’ve:

  • lost money after travel plans were disrupted
  • had something stolen from you or broken in an accident
  • had medical treatment.

Mauri Ora may be able to bill the insurer directly for the majority of your Doctor's appointments, in accordance with your coverage. However, please be aware that consultations regarding contraception, STI/sexual health testing and pre-existing conditions can't be directly billed, so these will need to be paid to Mauri Ora on the day of your appointment.

How to make a claim

You can use these methods to make a claim:

  • claim online through the Studentsafe online claim portal
  • download and fill in the claim form, sign it, and send it to the email address on the form along with any supporting documents and receipts/invoices. Alternatively, you can email your claim to (the insurance advisor will forward your claim to the insurance company). Keep a copy of your receipts and invoices for your own records
  • you can also pick up a claim form and drop off completed claim forms to Reception, the International Office, Level 2, Easterfield Building, Kelburn Parade. The insurance advisor will then forward your form to the insurance provider.


An excess is the amount of the insurance claim that you have to pay.

Under Studentsafe Inbound University insurance, you’ll pay:

  • $200 excess on all personal property claims
  • no excess on medical claims.

For example: Your $500 smartphone is stolen and Studentsafe approves your claim. You will have to pay $200, and Studentsafe Inbound University insurance will pay the balance of $300.

If the amount you’re claiming is less than the excess, you won’t receive any money.

For help, contact

Speak to someone

International Student Experience

Renew or extend your insurance

If you’re studying in New Zealand for more than a year, you need to renew your Studentsafe Inbound University cover. You can suspend it in some circumstances.

Find our more about how to renew or extend your insurance

Insurance for your family

If your family comes with you to New Zealand, you can choose to insure them under your Studentsafe Inbound University policy.

Learn more about Studentsafe's inbound family insurance policy