Re-enrolment for international students

Find out how to continue your studies, whether you’re re-enrolling for a new academic year in the same programme or applying to start a new qualification.

Start a new programme

If you’re an international student who intends to start a new qualification, you’ll need to be accepted into the programme before you can select your courses and complete your enrolment. Wellington University International will handle your application. For example:

  • You’ve recently completed a Foundation Studies or English for Academic Purposes (EAP) programme and you want to start another qualification.
  • You want to change your degree or major subject (programme of study).
  • You last studied with us more than two years ago.
  • You’re applying for your first year of study with us.

Apply online

Move to postgraduate study

If you want to start a postgraduate research degree—a PhD or a Master’s by thesis degree—you’ll need to apply via the Faculty of Graduate Research.

If you want to do a Master’s degree or another postgraduate qualification that mostly involves coursework, you need to apply through Wellington University International.

Re-enrol and change your programme

If you’re a returning international student and you want to change to a new qualification or major subject, you’ll need to apply for acceptance to the new programme via Wellington University International.

Once you’ve been accepted into the new qualification or major subject, you can select and enrol in courses online.

If you’re not sure whether you’re changing or continuing a programme of study, talk to your Student Success Adviser, who you can find in Pūaha.

Renew your student visa

If you are an international student, you must renew your Fee Paying Student Visa for each academic year, whether you’re continuing an existing programme of study or starting a new one. If you are changing to a new programme, this may have an impact on your visa.

You’ll need to be able to prove to Immigration New Zealand that you have paid your tuition fees. If you think you will find it difficult to pay your tuition fees on time, contact the Student Fees Advisers as soon as possible. Email us at

If you are concerned about meeting the requirements for your visa, you should contact the International Student Experience team as soon as possible. Email us at

Find out more about renewing your student visa

Find out more about tuition fees for International students