Course changes and re-enrolment

Find out how to add or drop courses, sign up for Trimester 3 courses, re-enrol for each new academic year, and get course planning advice.

Confirming your Trimester 2 courses

You can add or drop courses before the course changes deadline at the beginning of each trimester. You’ll be eligible to apply for a refund for any courses that you withdraw from before this date.

You can withdraw from courses after this deadline, for example, if exceptional circumstances prevent you from completing the course.

Add or drop courses

Course planning

Sometimes it can be difficult to work out which courses you need to complete your degree, major, or minor, and what the effect of changes will be on your finances.

Student Success Advisers can help you plan your courses and make changes to your programme of study.

Plan your degree


If you’re doing a degree (or any qualification across multiple years), you need to re-enrol for each academic year by selecting your courses and paying your fees.

If you want to change your programme, you need to talk to your Student Success Adviser and get accepted into the new degree before choosing your courses.

How to re-enrol

Trimester 3 courses

If you decide to study in Trimester 3 over the summer and you’re continuing with the same programme of study, you only need to register for courses and pay your fees.

If you want to start a new degree or major in Trimester 3, you’ll need to talk to your Student Success Adviser first.

More about Trimester 3

Limited-entry programmes and courses

We limit entry into some of our qualifications, majors, and courses. These limits are in place either because the programme or course is oversubscribed or because students need a specific level of achievement to have a reasonable chance of success in the programme.

You need to apply by 1 November if you want a place in a limited-entry programme, and by 1 December for individual limited-entry courses.

More about limited entry

International students

If you’re an international student returning for another year of study, and you’re not changing your programme of study, you may be able to simply re-enrol.

If you’re enrolling in a new qualification—or if you last studied with us more than two years ago—you’ll need to apply via Wellington University International.

You’ll also need to renew your visa for every new year of your studies, and make sure that your family’s insurance is renewed (if applicable).

More about international re-enrolment