Health and wellbeing

A new life in a different culture can be the opportunity of a lifetime—but along with the excitement may come stress, loneliness or anxiety.

Studying and living in a foreign country can be stressful to start with. It can take time to adjust and settle in—it’s different for everyone, but in your first weeks in New Zealand you might feel:

  • homesick
  • emotional or depressed
  • tired or angry
  • lonely
  • confused.

The good news is that these feelings do eventually go away—but there are people you can ask for help in the meantime. Get some helpful tips, access resources, or attend a course or workshop.

Support from the International Student Experience Team

International student advisers are different from faculty student advisers—our primary role is student support rather than academic advice.

We understand that living and studying in a foreign country can be challenging and that it comes with its highs and lows—talking about it can help.

You can talk to us if:

  • you’re finding learning at our University very different from home
  • you’re finding it hard to meet people and are feeling isolated
  • things aren't going so well back home and you can’t concentrate on your studies
  • you need help with practical matters or day-to-day life.

The International Student Experience Team works closely with other university student support services. You can also come and see us if you have any health, emotional, or financial concerns and don’t know where to go for help. Get in touch with us at any time.

Other people you can talk to

You can talk to:

  • Student Counselling—they offer confidential help with any issues affecting your sense of wellbeing, relationships or learning. Appointments are covered by Studentsafe–University insurance.
  • Lifeline—a confidential and anonymous phone-counselling service. You can discuss personal problems with a professional Lifeline counsellor 24 hours a day on their toll-free number: 0800 111 777.
  • The Samaritans, who offer a 24-hour anonymous listening service on their Wellington phone line: 04 473 9739. You can also visit them for confidential face-to-face counselling at their address on the corner of Hill and Molesworth St, Thorndon, Wellington.

If you get sick or are injured

Most international students aren’t eligible for publicly funded healthcare—but Studentsafe–University insurance should cover your medical expenses. Find out more about healthcare in New Zealand.