Academic help and mentoring
Sign up for free courses to help you improve your study, public speaking or conversational English skills, or get support if you fall behind.
Courses for international students
Student Learning runs useful, fun and interactive courses for international students. They can help if you’re:
- finding it difficult to talk to your Kiwi classmates or lecturers
- being misunderstood even when you think you’re making yourself clear
- frustrated because you didn't know how to say ‘no’ to someone.
Their are courses to help you:
- prepare for studying in New Zealand
- improve your confidence in communicating with Kiwis and overcoming cultural barriers
- give presentations in English
- practise your conversational English
- improve your grammar and punctuation.
More about Student Learning courses for international students.
Academic monitoring programme
Under our Academic Progress Statute, students’ enrolment can be restricted if they don’t make satisfactory progress. Making good progress is also a condition of your student visa.
If you fail more than 50 per cent of your courses in a trimester, you’ll be referred to an academic monitoring programme with the International Student Support Team. An International student success adviser will give you confidential help to:
- improve your study performance
- identify the areas where you need to improve
- achieve success.