Find out about the range of support services available to refugee-background students.

Whether you need help with your health and wellbeing, with practical details like finances, English proficiency, and somewhere to live, or with how to juggle your studies with being a parent, the University can support you.

A group of students sitting in the dining room of Te Puni Village hall of residence which overlooks Wellington harbour.


Where you live can enrich your university experience. Find out more about our halls of residence and the accommodation care and support we provide.

A lecturer and student reviewing a piece of work together

English assistance

We offer the English Proficiency Programme and Academic Writing in ESL courses, and you may be able to get your fees paid for by the Refugee English Fund.

Smiling student, Reuben, is standing holding a book in front of the Beehive in Wellington.

Plan your studies

Thinking of coming to the University? We can help you make the right decisions about what to study—get in touch with the our student recruitment team.

Two students, with an advisor smiling, while looking at a pamphlet.

Careers and employment

Find out about networking events and get support with your career planning, including CV drop-in sessions and one-on-one appointments with our consultants.

Two people working with laptops and paper to sort out finances.

Financial support and advice

You can get help with your finances, whether it's managing your student loan or allowance, paying fees, budgeting, or applying for scholarships.

Medical equipment laid out on a desk.

Health and counselling

The Mauri Ora (Student Health and Counselling) team provide a range of services to help students manage their physical and mental wellbeing while at university.

Two people sorting through plastic crates of fruit and vegetables.


Find out how to look after yourself and seek support for your health and wellbeing, including free services on campus, online, and outside the University.

A woman holds a wooden bowl containing stones while she extends one of the stones as a gift.

Disability services

You can get tailored assistance if you are Deaf, have a disability or impairment, mental illness, injury, medical condition or specific learning disability.

Table with woman's hands holding tea cup and another person holding a religious book.


The chaplaincy runs Koha, a donation-based café, and provides space for people to connect, reflect and find support, regardless of belief or background.

Students walking across Rainbow crossing on Cuba Street

Rainbow students

We offer a range of services and resources for students who identify with diverse sexual orientations and sex and gender identities—the Rainbow community.

A young Asian woman holding a small child with a laptop computer on the desk behind her.

Students with children

Find out how the University welcomes and supports students with children, about bringing your children to campus, and about our facilities for parents.

Four young boys play with blocks and toy cars together.

University Kids

The University Kids creche has two locations near the Kelburn campus. Early childhood education is subsidised for three- and four-year old children.