Our workshop topics of sleep, sexual health, nutrition, and health literacy are covered in this section.
All of the content in our online resources aligns with the messages in our weekly wellbeing workshops.
- Read the Ministry of Health’s recommendations about why good quality sleep is essential for your health and wellbeing.
- Explore contemporary expectations about sleep, effects of inadequate sleep and what you can do to optimise sleep.
- Sleep radio is uninterrupted, clear and neutral music for sleeping, with no annoying ads or announcers.
- Sleep guided meditation using ASMR (autonomous sensory meridian response) relaxing sounds of nature.
- Sleepio is an App that uses Cognitive Behavioural Therapy to help reset sleeping patterns naturally.
- Relax Melodies: Sleep Sounds is recommended by Student Wellbeing Leaders to help you sleep. It includes nature sounds, white, noise, guided meditations, stories, exercises, and techniques.
- Read Health Navigator NZ's tips to help improve your sleep with a ‘sleep tips tracker’ to see which tips work for your sleep.
- Watch the classic cup of tea video demonstrating consent.
- Worried if your body is not normal? Check out the Labia Library to see how diverse labias look or the NZ Aids Foundation for diverse penis shapes and sizes.
- Read the Light Project about how porn affects body image, attitudes and beliefs about sex.
- Find information about Just the Facts to prevent STI’s.
- Read about long-acting reversible contraception for females.
- Find out more about queer, gender diverse, takatāpui, and intersex at Rainbow Youth.
- Reaching out for help if you have experienced sexual violence.
- How to read food labels when you’re shopping.
- Learn about portion sizes and how to estimate them.
- Read about healthy eating on a budget, including using seasonal veges, portion sizes, use by dates, and alternative sources of protein.
- Basic preparation and cooking techniques video for common NZ vegetables.
- What’s the best diet? This Healthy Eating 101 video with Dr Mike Evans is almost as good as an appointment with him in the clinic.
- The Easy Eat Diary app, recommended by Health Navigator, helps monitor food intake for energy intake and exercise.
- Take this Quiz to find out if your drinking habits are healthy.
- Learn about your drug habits with this anonymous test.
- Read about three simple questions you can ask to help you understand your consultation with your GP or Nurse.
- Watch Merle talk about whāia te mātauranga, he oranga moū—looking after yourself.
- Find out about patient rights from the Health & Disability Commissioner.
- Apply for the University’s Student Hardship Fund for medical and dental costs, disability, or temporary illness.
- Accessing after hours medical help in person.
- Accessing after hours medical help over the phone at Healthline.
- Read about being smart with your medicine to use it safely.
- How to order a repeat prescription from Mauri Ora when your medication runs out.
Sometimes, you will need support and guidance from health professionals to help you through tough times. Reach out and seek support when you need to.
There are free health and wellbeing services on campus and outside of the University that provide support and information to students.