The Code of Practice for international students

We follow the Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021.

As an education provider, we’re responsible for the welfare of our international students.

The Pastoral Care Code provides a framework to make sure international students are:

  • well-informed
  • safe
  • looked after.

The Code isn’t about academic standards—it’s just about supporting and providing information for international students.

Visit the NZQA website for full details of what’s covered in the Code (PDF).

Student complaints about our compliance with the Code

There is a formal process in place for you or your parents to follow if you have a complaint about the University's compliance with the Code.

If you or your parents have a complaint about Victoria University of Wellington breaching the Code, you can make a complaint in writing to the Assistant Vice-Chancellor (International). The AVC (International) will take all steps necessary to ensure that the grievance is settled and can be contacted at

If your complaint is not resolved, you can contact the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) by phone on 0800 697 296 or email

If it is a financial or contractual dispute, you can contact iStudent Complaints by phone on 0800 006 675. More information is available at iStudent Complaints.

For more information on the complaints processes, visit the NZQA student complaints about an education organisation webpage.