Student and Academic Services

Find out how our Student Administration Team can help you succeed in your studies.

About us

The Law Student and Academic Services team provides services to help you succeed in your study of law. The services relate to enrolment, stream allocation, degree planning, credit transfer, examinations and tests; at both the undergraduate and postgraduate level. There are two advisers in the Faculty who offer additional assistance to Māori and Pacific students. All the services related to law are located in the old Government Building at the Pipitea campus. For more information on the services we offer please contact us, the Student & Academic Services team.

Location and opening hours

The Law Faculty/School Office is located on the ground floor (G31) of the Old Government Buildings (55 Lambton Quay) at the Pipitea Campus.

Opening hours: 8.30am–5.00pm

Phone: 04 463 6366


Phone/Zoom meetings
If you would like a phone/zoom meeting with one of the Student and Academic Services team please click here.

Visit the Office for the following purposes:

  • For general enquiries
  • To collect Faculty publications
  • To hand-in or pick-up assignments or tests
  • To apply for reconsiderations, or return of, exam scripts
  • Academic transcript requests (payment, including credit card)
  • To pick up forms for adding or withdrawing from courses (Course add/drop forms).

General student enquiries

All general enquiries relating to law please email

Degree planning and course advice

Current students enrolled in the LLB contact an Undergraduate Student Adviser.

Students enrolling in LLB(Hons), LLM, or GCertLaw contact the Postgraduate Administrator.

Admission and enrolment

Prospective students to Victoria University of Wellington contact Future Students for general information on first-year enrolment.

All students (except LLM by thesis) enrol online. LLM by thesis contact the Postgraduate Administrator.

Selection into second-year law

Students are selected into second-year law according to selection criteria. For further questions contact an Undergraduate Student Adviser.

Adding and withdrawing courses

For information on adding, withdrawing, changing streams or being waitlisted into law courses contact an Undergraduate Student Adviser.

Credit transfer

For information regarding possible credit for the LLB contact an Undergraduate Student Adviser.

Student exchanges

Law students complete all their compulsory law courses before going on exchange overseas. For further questions relating to law study overseas contact Undergraduate Administrator.

Clerkships, internships and employment information evening

The Faculty of Law and the Law Students’ Society co-host an information evening about clerkships, internships and employment for current Law students in Trimester 1 each year.

Resources from the most recent information evening are below.

The University’s Careers and Employment team also provides a wide range of useful information, and services including CV checks, workshops and employer expos.

Course confirmation and StudyLink forms

If you have a form to study as a student on limited full-time status, or require an authorised signature and stamp to confirm your study here contact the Manager, Student and Academic Services.

Examinations and tests

Examination timetables are usually published just after the mid-trimester break. The rules for alternative arrangements for Law School tests and University final examinations can be seen in the three appendices of the Undergraduate Law prospectus. To apply for any special arrangements contact the Examinations Coordinator.

Help at final assessment or exam time

There is help available if you’re feeling unwell or are facing serious personal circumstances in the lead up to exams or final assessment due dates. Contact the faculty office to discuss your options or find out more about what help is available at final assessment or exam time.

Graduation enquiries

When you have completed your degree you will be sent an email inviting you to apply for graduation. If you do not receive this by February (December completers) or September (July completers) please contact an Undergraduate Student Adviser. March completers are entitled to graduate at the May ceremony, apply for advance graduation to the Undergraduate Student Adviser.

Academic transcripts

An official transcript of your grades and qualification from Victoria University of Wellington is usually required by employers, other educational institutes or for external scholarship applications. Download an application form or contact us.


You have the opportunity to query any assessment result you believe to be unfair or calculated incorrectly. You should go to the Law Faculty/School Office (G31) or email if you wish to apply for a reconsideration. See the Assessment Handbook s 9 p 29, for the process and deadlines.