International Buddy Programme
Become a buddy, meet fantastic people, share your knowledge of Kiwi life, and help welcome new international students to New Zealand and the University.
The International Buddy Programme is a great, fun, and free programme that connects you with other students who are interested in fostering international friendships and cultivating stronger cross-cultural awareness.
How to become a buddy
We’ll pair you with a new international student. You’ll be responsible for connecting with your buddy as soon as you receive their contact details.
You’ll need to:
- have genuine interest in connecting with others from a variety of backgrounds and cultures
- attend a training session before your buddy arrives, where you will meet other current students
- be a friendly, welcoming face for your buddy
- commit around 12 hours over a trimester to spending with your buddy and attending programme events
- keep in touch with your buddy steadily throughout the trimester
To register to be a buddy, you must:
- be studying towards a degree
- have already completed at least one full trimester at university (ideally a full year).
We encourage both domestic and international students to register for being a current buddy to a new international student.
International Buddy registration for Trimester 2 2020 has now ended. Buddy registration for Trimester 3 2020 will commence in October 2020.
Resources for new buddies
Take a look through these resources before contacting your new buddy.
Complete the recognition form to receive an International Buddy Programme certificate. If you participate in the programme, you will also be eligible for leadership points for the Wellington International Leadership Programme or Wellington Plus Award.