International Buddy Programme
Become a buddy, meet fantastic people, share your knowledge of Kiwi life, and help welcome new international students to New Zealand and the University.
The International Buddy Programme is a fun, free programme that connects you with other students who are interested in fostering international friendships and cultivating stronger cross-cultural awareness.
How to become a buddy
We’ll pair you with a new international student. You’ll be responsible for connecting with your buddy as soon as you receive their contact details.
You’ll need to:
- have genuine interest in connecting with others from a variety of backgrounds and cultures
- attend a training session before your buddy arrives, where you will meet other current students
- be a friendly, welcoming face for your buddy
- commit around 12 hours over a trimester to spending with your buddy and attending programme events
- keep in touch with your buddy steadily throughout the trimester
To register to be a buddy, you must:
- be studying towards a degree
- have already completed at least one full trimester at university (ideally a full year).
We encourage both domestic and international students to register for being a current buddy to a new international student.
Apply to be a buddy
The International Buddy Programme is temporarily unavailable for international students starting their studies in Trimester 2, 2021.
If you have completed the International Buddy Programme and wish to claim leadership points, download and fill out the IBP recognition form (PDF).