International Buddy Programme
Become a buddy, meet fantastic people, share your knowledge of Kiwi life, and help welcome new international students to New Zealand and the University.
The International Buddy Programme is a fun, free programme that connects you with other students who are interested in fostering international friendships and cultivating stronger cross-cultural awareness.
How to become a buddy
We’ll pair you with a new international student. You’ll be responsible for connecting with your buddy as soon as you receive their contact details.
You’ll need to:
- have genuine interest in connecting with others from a variety of backgrounds and cultures
- attend a training session before your buddy arrives, where you will meet other current students
- be a friendly, welcoming face for your buddy
- commit around 12 hours over a trimester to spending with your buddy and attending programme events
- keep in touch with your buddy steadily throughout the trimester
To register to be a buddy, you must:
- be studying towards a degree
- have already completed at least one full trimester at university (ideally a full year).
We encourage both domestic and international students to register for being a current buddy to a new international student.
Apply to be a buddy
International Buddy registration for Trimester 3 2020 has now ended. Buddy registration for Trimester 1 2021 will commence in February 2021.
If you have completed the International Buddy Programme and wish to claim leadership points, download and fill out the IBP recognition form (PDF).