Giving from the US
Donations from our US-based alumni create more opportunities to provide life-changing scholarships and generate pioneering research.
Established in 1995, US Friends of Victoria University of Wellington is an independent US non-profit organization with tax exempt status.
With changes in the way modern tertiary education is funded, today the successful future of Victoria University of Wellington and its students depends on investment raised independently of traditional sources. US Friends encourages alumni to give back to the institution that has served us so well.
US Friends can provide a tax exemption to donors based in the US for cash and other gifts.
Updated US tax benefits for 2020 donations
As part of the US government’s response to COVID-19, Congress has made provisions for charitable donations in 2020. Individuals who give charitable donations this year are entitled to an increased tax deduction.
- For those who take a standard tax deduction, this year they can include up to $300 in donations if filing individually, and up to $600 if filing jointly.
- For those donors who itemize their taxes, 100% of their adjusted annual income is deductible in 2020.
- Corporations this year no longer face the usual cap for tax deductions of 10% but are entitled to deductions of 25% of their charitable gifts.
Ways to give
Thank you for considering making a donation to the US Friends. Please use our contact details below for further information.
By credit card
You can make a single or regular gift via an online donation.
For amounts above $1,000, we prefer that you send a wire or SWIFT payment or a check, due to the credit card fee deduction.
Checks in US dollars
Make payable to ‘US Friends of Victoria University of Wellington’ and send to:
US Friends of Victoria University of Wellington Inc
Attn: Shivali Gulab, Treasurer
25-25 Astoria Blvd, Apt 2C
Remember to include your name, postal address and email address so we can thank you and send a formal tax receipt.
Gifts of appreciated stock and property can offer special tax advantages—contact us to find out more.
As an example, your US employer may operate a scheme where the company agrees to match your charitable donation to the US Friends as a 501(c)(3) exempt organization with a similar donation.
If this is available, in the first instance, please consult your employer’s Human Resources department for instructions.
Board of directors
- Zach Beardman (President) (BCA 2010)
- Dr Shivali Gulab (Treasurer) (BCA 2001, BSC 2001, PHD 2007)
- Erica McLean (Assistant Treasurer)
- Dominic Misiolo Sofe (BA 2012)
- Sue O'Donnell
Find out more
If you have any questions about making a gift to the US Friends you can email email@example.com or contact: