Find out more about how to nominate someone for a Distinguished Alumni Award.
Nominations for our 2023 awards are now closed. We will be welcoming nominations again in the second half of 2024 for the 2025 awards.
Alumni, current staff, and friends of Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University of Wellington are invited to submit nominations for the Distinguished Alumni Awards.
The nomination process is confidential and it is requested that nominations are made without the nominee's knowledge.
A nomination can be made by an individual or a group. If more than one nomination is submitted by the same person or group, each submission must be made separately.
A nomination form needs to be completed. This will include:
- name and contact information for nominator/nominee
- nominee’s academic achievements and awards or honours received
- nominee’s current occupation
- statement of support – why does this nominee deserve to be selected
- names and contact details for at least two referees.
Nominees must have a fully completed degree or diploma from Victoria University of Wellington.
A Distinguished Alumni Award will not be awarded to:
- a current employee of the University
- a current member of the University Council
- a member of the selection panel
- a recipient of an Honorary Doctorate from Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University
- a serving Member of Parliament.
Distinguished Alumni Awards are awarded based on one or more of the following criteria:
- outstanding contributions to their professions, their communities, and to New Zealand
- outstanding professional or voluntary service
- sustained contributions to the social, cultural, environmental, or economic wellbeing of the community
- outstanding achievements in team or individual sport to national representative level.
Recipients are selected by Victoria University of Wellington Honours committee.
Nominations that were shortlisted from previous years may be put forward for subsequent years.
Recipients of the Distinguished Alumni Awards will be celebrated at an event later in 2023.
For any enquiries please contact the Alumni and Engagement Office