Sub-delegation of Delegated Authority must be done in accordance with section 4.2(i) - (o) of the Delegations Statute.
Delegated Authority may only be sub-delegated to another member of Staff by:
- Giving a specific sub-delegation of a particular authority; or
- Formally appointing a staff member in an acting or relieving role.
You cannot sub-delegate Financial Delegated Authority (FDA) or Human Resources Delegated Authority (HRDA) without:
- In the case of a specific sub-delegation, the prior written approval of the Chief Operating Officer (in the case of FDA), Director, Human Resources (in the case of HRDA) or the Vice-Chancellor.
- In the case of a person appointed in an acting or relieving role, specifying in the sub-delegation whether or not that person can exercise FDA or HRDA.
All sub-delegations must be in writing (which includes sending an email).
Sub-delegated Authority may not be further sub-delegated without the prior written approval of the Vice-Chancellor.
- A staff member who is giving a sub-delegation must actually have the authority to give the sub-delegation.
- Sub-delegation is a transfer of authority but not of accountability. This means that the person sub-delegating the authority will remain accountable for the use of that authority.
- Sub-delegating an authority does not prevent the delegating manager from exercising that authority alongside, or instead of, the person to whom the sub-delegation is given.
Template sub-delegation forms
These forms are intended to assist staff members to comply with the requirements of the Delegations Statute and ensure that:
- sub-delegations are appropriately recorded in writing;
- holders of a sub-delegated authority are clear as to the powers that they may exercise; and
- the University has a written record of the terms and conditions of that sub-delegation.
It is expected that these forms will be completed and used as outlined below. However, the absence of a completed form will not be conclusive evidence that a sub-delegation of Delegated Authority has been ineffective.
If there is any doubt as to whether a particular Delegated Authority can be sub-delegated, or the appropriate form to be used, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Form 1—Appointment of acting staff member is for use when appointing a person to act or relieve in your role during your absence.
- Form 2—Sub-delegation of specific power is for use when sub-delegating a specific Delegated Authority.
- Form 3—Extension of sub-delegation is for use when extending a sub-delegation given using Form 2 above.
Instructions on how to use the forms are contained within the relevant form. Once completed, the form should be sent as an email to the person to whom the sub-delegation is being given, and copied to:
- your manager,
- your HR advisor (if HRDA is being sub-delegated); and
- your Finance Advisor (if FDA is being sub-delegated).