Reputation and rankings
Victoria University of Wellington is in the top 2 percent of the world’s 18,000 universities and in the top 100 universities in the world for 13 subjects.
The University is globally ranked in:
- Communication and Media Studies
- Development Studies
- Earth and Marine Sciences
- English Language and Literature
- Library and Information Management
- Mineral and Mining Engineering
- Performing Arts
- Politics and International Studies
- Religious Studies (called Theology, Divinity and Religious Studies in the QS rankings)
The University also hosts New Zealand’s only School of Government undertaking teaching and research on public policy and public administration and management.
The School is located within the Wellington School of Business and Government, one of an elite group of commerce faculties worldwide to hold the highly sought after Triple Crown of international commerce accreditations.
Victoria University of Wellington is a globally ranked, research-intensive university and the first-ranked university in New Zealand for research quality. Its research is robust, relevant and multi-disciplinary, drawing together expertise from across the University to address local, national and global challenges.
Our research creates new knowledge and benefits society, the economy and the environment.
Find out more about how our researchers lead thinking on the big questions facing society.