How to enter
The 2021 winners and finalists have been announced.
Details of the 2022 Award will be available once they are confirmed.
You can enter online during the entry period, which is usually February to July each year.
Information is sent to all eligible schools by March in each year the Award is held. If your school has not received an Awards information pack from us by March and would like to be added to the mailing list, please contact the IIML.
During the entry period each year, the following rules apply:
- Entrants must be Year 12 or 13 students currently enrolled in a New Zealand secondary school, or verified home-schooling equivalent;
- Only one poem per student may be submitted;
- The poem may be on any subject. It must be the original, unpublished work of the entrant and must not have been submitted for other publications or competitions;
- Click on the 'Enter online here' button (displayed above during the entry period), or go to www.schoolspoetryaward.co.nz, fill in the online entry form and upload your poem;
- The writer’s name should only appear on the entry form – not on the poem itself;
- Entries must be received by midnight on the deadline date (to be confirmed for 2022).
- Copyright remains with the individual writers. The International Institute of Modern Letters (IIML) reserves the right to publish the prize-winning entries without further payment;
- The winner and shortlisted poets will be announced on National Poetry Day in late August. (Date to be confirmed for 2022.)
For more information, email email@example.com or telephone: +64-4-463 6854.