How to enter
Details of the 2023 Award will be available here once they are confirmed.
Entry information is sent to all eligible schools in March in each year the Award is held. If your school has not received an Awards information pack from us by late March and would like to be added to the mailing list, please contact the IIML.
During the entry period, the following rules apply:
- Entrants must be Year 12 or 13 students currently enrolled in a New Zealand secondary school, or verified home-schooling equivalent;
- Only one poem per student may be submitted;
- The poem may be on any subject. It must be the original, unpublished work of the entrant and must not have been submitted for other publications or competitions;
- Click on the 'Enter online here' button (displayed above during the entry period) or go to www.schoolspoetryaward.co.nz, fill in the online entry form and upload your poem;
- The writer’s name should only appear on the entry form – not on the poem itself;
- Entries must be received by midnight on the deadline date (to be confirmed for 2023).
- Copyright remains with the individual writers. The International Institute of Modern Letters (IIML) reserves the right to publish the prize-winning entries without further payment;
- The winner and shortlisted poets will be announced on National Poetry Day, in late August, each year.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: +64-4-463 6854.