Working in New Zealand

New Zealand has excellent work rights for international students. You may be able to work part time while you study—and for three years after your degree.

Working while you study

Your student visa may allow you to work:

  • part time (up to 20 hours per week) during the academic year
  • full time (up to 40 hours per week) during scheduled breaks in study and during the Christmas and New Year holiday period.

You won’t be able to work in New Zealand if you are:

  • on a one-trimester student exchange
  • a Study Abroad student
  • studying in the English for Academic Purposes programme.

Your eligibility for work depends on your type and duration of study. Immigration New Zealand provides detailed information about working on a student visa.

Working after your study

New Zealand’s new post-study work visa allows graduates with a Bachelor’s degree or higher to stay and work in New Zealand for up to three years. This applies if your programme is a Bachelor’s degree, postgraduate diploma or certificate, Honours degree, Master’s degree, or PhD.

Advice on working

We recommend that you start your studies and settle into Wellington before looking for a job. You will first need to make sure that you have enough time to focus on your studies.

If you work in New Zealand, you will:

  • need to pay tax
  • need an IRD number
  • be covered by the same basic legal rights as all New Zealand workers.

For more information about working as an international student, go to NauMai NZ.

Finding work

Our Careers and Employment team can help you with career advice, preparing your CV, and finding a job. Talk to them when you start looking for work—they have great recommendations for international students.

The best places to look for a job in Wellington are: