US citizens and eligible non-citizens must meet these criteria to qualify for US Federal Aid. Find out whether you are eligible.
To be eligible for a US Federal Student Aid loan, you must:
- be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen
- maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
- complete and meet all the application criteria
- remain enrolled and studying on campus
- have a valid social security number
- not be in default on any federal loan requirements
- comply with Selective Service Registration if you’re male and aged 18 to 25
- not have a drug conviction that renders you ineligible to receive loans
- be enrolled at least half time (30 points in Trimester 1 and 2, 15 points in Trimester 3) in courses related directly to your study programme (Immigration New Zealand requires student visa holders to be enrolled in a full-time course)
- not be enrolled in any online courses as part of your study programme
- not be enrolled in a graduate diploma or postgraduate diploma programme.
The following programmes are eligible for US Federal Student Aid at Victoria University of Wellington:
Postgraduate diplomas, graduate diplomas, and certificates are not eligible to receive Direct Loans. If a student changes their programme to an ineligible qualification after Direct Loans have been approved, the loan will be cancelled, and the student will have to finance their study through a private loan or other private funding.
You must complete all steps in the application process to be considered for a loan.
Direct Loans for US Study Abroad and exchange students
As a foreign institution, Victoria University of Wellington is not authorised to certify student loans or deferments for US students who plan to attend this university for a trimester or for a full-year Study Abroad or exchange experience.
The financial administrator at Victoria University of Wellington will complete a consortium agreement with your home university, so the financial aid office at your home university can process your financial aid application.
Contact email@example.com for more information.