Connect with Wellington
Benefit from Wellington's strong connections to government, industry, and leading national organisations.
Located in New Zealand’s vibrant capital city, Victoria University of Wellington enjoys privileged access to the country’s leaders, influencers, and decision makers. This in turn shapes our world-class degrees.
When you study in Wellington, you also have access to the city’s many museums, archives, libraries, scientific institutes, cultural bodies, financial, legal and business institutions, and political and government agencies.
Benefits to you
We pass on the benefits of being a capital city university to our students. Take advantage of our close partnerships while you are studying and in your career, and let us help you build your future.
Internships and networking
Develop valuable real-world skills and networks through our internships, research projects, and industry work placements—offered in many programmes.
You can learn from leading local and international experts in programmes that are taught or developed by our expert partners.
Global leadership and volunteering
Learn from and contribute your perspectives to the University’s strong global outlook and partnerships, in your studies and activities outside of the classroom. The unique Wellington International Leadership Programme is one of two University leadership programmes that will allow you to learn from leading thinkers, diplomats, and relevant practitioners from around the world. Through our Wellington Plus Programme, you can use our connections with local businesses and community organisations to gain valuable career and life skills through volunteering.
These are just some of the leading organisations and institutes that have well-established partnerships with Victoria University of Wellington—in teaching, research, or internship opportunities.
- Callaghan Innovation
- Capital and Coast District Health Board
- Chartered Accountants Australia New Zealand
- Department of Conservation
- GNS Science
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Te Papa Tongarewa—Museum of New Zealand
- New Zealand Institute of Architects
- New Zealand Symphony Orchestra
- Royal Society of New Zealand
- Statistics New Zealand
- Weta Digital
University research institutes
We are the top university in New Zealand for research quality (Based on the latest Performance-Based Research Fund rankings) and are home to more than 40 research institutes and centres. These provide research and learning opportunities for students in related fields, and include the:
- Antarctic Research Centre
- Centre for Strategic Studies
- Ferrier Research Institute
- MacDiarmid Institute for Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology
- Malaghan Institute of Medical Research
- New Zealand Centre for Literary Translation
- New Zealand Climate Change Research Institute
- New Zealand Contemporary China Research Centre
- Stout Research Centre for New Zealand Studies