Your Scholarship experience
The University provides a unique experience to Manaaki New Zealand Scholarship students, with a world-class education and dedicated support.
Gain a world-class education in Wellington
At Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University of Wellington—a Manaaki New Zealand Scholarships partner institution—you will join an outstanding academic community that is diverse, welcoming, and with a strong global outlook.
You will benefit from:
- living in one of the most liveable cities in the world
- our capital city connections to government, industry, and leading national organisations
- our world-class ranking and reputation, including as the top university in New Zealand for research intensity (2018 Performance-Based Research Fund)
- free leadership programmes and other opportunities to build your future career
- quality education from expert staff and researchers from around the world.
Receive ongoing support
We offer a unique, comprehensive support programme for Scholarship students. A dedicated team will help you make your Scholarship and your time at the University a success.
Once you arrive, you will meet your International Student Officer, who will help you adjust to University life. They will be available throughout your studies to answer any questions and provide support.
You will receive:
- advice on how to get ready for your Scholarship, including applying for a visa and accommodation, and organising your travel
- information and support to help you adjust to the University, Wellington, and the New Zealand culture
- an academic preparatory programme to develop your academic skills before you start your degree
- formal meetings once each trimester to help maintain your academic progress
- opportunities to meet informally with the team and with other students throughout the year
- advice and support to help you adjust to life back home once you have completed your studies.
Join a strong Scholarships community
Make the most of your opportunities to connect with fellow Scholarship students. You will take part in:
- fortnightly afternoon teas—these help to build a community among Manaaki New Zealand Scholarship students and provide a casual environment where you can discuss your experience
- Annual General Meeting—this includes live performances, guest speakers, personal and professional development sessions, and general Scholarship updates
- formal completion ceremony—this prestigious event marks the end of your studies and may include speeches from partner country ambassadors, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and senior academic staff at the University.