International Orientation is your introduction to life at Victoria University of Wellington.
International Orientation is held before your first classes start. Check your orientation and start dates to find out when you need to attend.
International Orientation is compulsory for all new international students in their first trimester of study. This includes PhD students as well as students who have finished the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) programme and who are starting their degree.
What happens at Orientation
International Orientation is an information session which will be delivered digitally and in-person as COVID-19 restrictions allow. You will be able to learn about the University, Wellington, and New Zealand at your own pace before classes begin, using the same digital tools which you will be using throughout your studies. Students will receive more information about their orientation programme closer to the start date.
Your orientation activities will include:
- opportunities to meet other students from around the world
- presentations about your new campuses, living in Wellington, and being a student at the University
- optional tours of the University campus and Wellington central city, as COVID-19 restrictions allow
- information about the student services and support available on campus
- tips on adjusting to the cultural differences you may experience living here
- activities to help you feel connected to your new University community
- tips on how to prepare for your academic study.
Enrolment will be completed online before your orientation begins. You must be enrolled in order to access our digital orientation content. If you are having trouble with enrolment, contact the international team and we will help you.
- If you are an international PhD student, you will enrol through the Wellington Faculty of Graduate Research. Please get in touch with them directly about your enrolment.
Find out more about enrolling.