Build your future
At Victoria University of Wellington, you will gain the knowledge, real-world skills, and confidence to turn your studies into a career.
You will gain more than expertise in your subject area when you study at Victoria University of Wellington. We can help you build your future through:
- transferable work skills
- real-world experience
- global perspective
- leadership opportunities
- professional career advice and guidance.
Transferable work skills
Our degrees and programmes are designed to teach you valuable work and life skills such as problem-solving, critical-thinking, teamwork, and communication. They also offer you:
Explore your degree or programme to see what opportunities it provides.
- Take an internship, work placement, or project that connects you to employers.
- Develop an understanding of your industry and form professional connections within your chosen field.
Studying in New Zealand will broaden your perspective on the world. You will study alongside students from diverse cultures and become a global citizen. You can benefit from:
- our strong global outlook—nearly 50 percent of our academic staff are from overseas and the University continually seeks to strengthen its global partnerships
- our Wellington Global Exchange student exchange programme—travel and study overseas, then credit your overseas study back to your Victoria University of Wellington degree
- our programmes that focus on global issues and provide international field trips and internships.
Take advantage of the University’s free leadership and mentoring programmes, which can be tailored to suit your interests and ambitions:
- Victoria International Leadership Programme (VILP) is designed to develop your leadership potential, advance your intercultural knowledge, and build your effectiveness as a global citizen. It will also provide you with local and international contacts and experiences that can help you build your career.
- Wellington Plus gives you leadership, social responsibility, and employability skills through volunteering. You will make connections with other students, employers, and people in the not-for-profit sector across Wellington.
- Alumni as Mentors will match you with an alumni (graduate) of the University to provide you with career-focused mentoring and advice. It is offered online or in person, with mentors based either in Wellington or around the world.
Professional career advice and guidance
Victoria University of Wellington provides services and expert staff who can help you prepare for your career.
Get career advice
Our Careers and Employment service can give you advice to help you plan your next career step, including workshops on CV preparation and interview skills for non-native English speakers.
Research your job prospects
Whether you want to build your career in New Zealand or back home, an international education will give you skills that are an advantage in any work environment.
Explore your job prospects in New Zealand:
Working in Wellington
New Zealand’s work rights for international students are among the best in the world. You can gain experience and skills working in New Zealand during and after your studies.
Wellington is a great place to work—the New Zealand Government is a large employer and the city has the highest median income in New Zealand. The New Zealand unemployment rate is currently 4.2 percent and the 13th lowest in the world (OECD 2019 Unemployment rate indicator).