Credit transfer and exemptions
If you already have a tertiary-level qualification, or part of one, you can apply for academic credit transfer or exemptions from required courses.
Academic credit transfer
If you have studied at another institution at tertiary level, you might be able to credit some of those courses towards your degree at Victoria University of Wellington—this means you won’t have to do as many courses here to complete your degree.
You are more likely to be granted a credit transfer for 100-level courses (first-year undergraduate level). In some circumstances, credit transfer may be granted at higher levels at faculty’s discretion.
You can apply for an exemption to a required course if you have already completed a course or courses at another institution that covers content equivalent to either:
- a prerequisite course for a Victoria University of Wellington course, major, or degree
- a compulsory course within a Victoria University of Wellington major or degree.
If you are granted an exemption from a prerequisite course, you can enrol in the relevant course, major, or degree without needing to do the prerequisite course first.
If you are granted an exemption from a compulsory course, you may substitute the compulsory course with a different one.
To get credit for any exempted courses towards your degree at Victoria University of Wellington, you will also need to apply for a credit transfer.
Apply for credit transfer or exemptions
Tick the box on your application form to apply for credit transfer. You will need to provide:
- a certified copy of your academic transcript
- a detailed description of each course you studied that you are using as a basis for requesting credit transfer and/or exemption
- a portfolio of your work if you are an undergraduate Architecture or Design student.
Your application for credit transfer or exemptions will be individually assessed by your faculty—transfers and exemptions are given at the faculty’s discretion. Your request will be assessed usually within four to six weeks.