Information to assist you with the step by step application process and the disbursement timeline.
Your US Federal Student Aid application process depends on whether you are a first-time or returning borrower with Victoria University of Wellington.
- Apply for your programme of study at Victoria University of Wellington.
- Receive and accept your Offer of Place (first-time applicants only).
- Complete the following documentation:
- Application form for US Federal Student Aid (needs to be completed annually)
- FAFSA (needs to be completed annually)
- entrance counselling (first-time applicants to Victoria University of Wellington and students graduating from one degree level to another only—learn about the structure of our undergraduate and postgraduate programmes).
- Once you have completed all documentation above, email your Application form for US Federal Student Aid to the email@example.com.
- Once your eligibility has been assessed, we will notify you by email of the loan type(s) and amount(s) that you are eligible for.
- Return your signed award letter stating the loan type and amount you wish to be certified.
- You will receive your Direct Loan information letter to support your student visa application.
- Receive your funds. You will receive a minimum of two equal disbursements per year which coincide with the start of each trimester. The main disbursement dates:
Trimester 2 2020 Trimester 3 2020* Trimester 1 2021 Trimester 2 2021 Trimester 3 2021* New students 6 July 2 November 15 February 28 June 1 November Returning students 13 July 9 November 22 February 5 July 8 November New undergraduate first year students 12 August 9 December 24 March 4 August 8 December
* Only students studying during trimester 3 will receive this disbursement.
- Apply for a Refund. Students must apply to student finance for their credit balance. After tuition and fees are paid in full, the excess balance will be refunded to your nominated bank account within 14 days of the University receiving funds.
If you are a graduate or dependent undergraduate student, we may also provide you with information about a Direct PLUS loan award.
Students who are ineligible for a PLUS Loan and require additional loans to cover their study can consider a private education loan.