Arrival meeting service
Our International team provides a free meeting service for all new international students.
Arriving in a new country can be exciting but also challenging. To make your arrival as stress-free as possible, we provide a free arrival meeting service for all new international students.
- confirm your pre-arranged accommodation with the Accommodation Service
- meet you at the airport, ferry, or train station when you arrive
- give you a welcome pack
- take you to your accommodation in Wellington.
If you are a new international student, all you need to do is complete this form to let us know when you will arrive in Wellington.
This service is free to all new students. You can use this service even if you are staying with a homestay family.
When you arrive
The person meeting you will be wearing a green t-shirt and carrying a sign showing the Victoria University of Wellington logo and your name.
If you are arriving:
- at Wellington Airport from a domestic flight, wait by the baggage claim area on the ground floor
- at Wellington Airport from an international flight, collect your bags and we will meet you as you leave Customs
- by bus or train, you will arrive at Wellington Railway Station. We will meet you at Platform 9
- on the ferry, we will meet you outside the terminal after you’ve collected your luggage.
If you can’t find us, contact:
If your plans change
If a flight is delayed or your plans change while you are travelling, call us as soon as possible on +64 29 463 5350. If no one answers, leave a message including your:
- full name
- new arrival information—arrival date and time, and flight number if you are travelling by plane
- mobile phone number if you have one with you, including your international code.
We will try our best to still meet you, but we can’t guarantee that we will be able to respond to late requests in time.
If you have to find your own way into the city, you can take a taxi from the airport for about NZ$30–$40 or the airport bus for about NZ$12.
If you no longer need to be picked up when you arrive, please let us know. Unless we can cancel your request, the University will still have to pay our shuttle service.
Prepare to travel
Find out what else to prepare before you travel, and read our tips for packing and travelling by plane.