Check your health needs
To make the most of your studies, it’s important to manage your health from the start—even before you travel.
We recommend you:
- get your health checked by your doctor before you leave for New Zealand, and
- let us know important information about your current health and any additional health support you may need (whether physical, mental, emotional, etc) before you study in Wellington.
Our goal is to provide you with the best quality support during your study, and this includes health, disability, and counselling needs. You can be sure that any information shared will be kept private and used only to determine the best way to support you and help you make decisions about your study, with your wellbeing in mind.
What to bring
To ensure we can provide you with best practice care during your studies, bring the following with you to New Zealand:
- your medical notes (translated into English)
- your specialist letters (translated into English), and
- a list of needed medications.
Not all medications available overseas are available here in New Zealand, so it is important that you consider this before you travel. Contact Mauri Ora to book an appointment with a New Zealand doctor (known as a General Practitioner or GP) well in advance to avoid interruption to your supply and to ensure safe arrangements can be made.
To protect yourself from preventable illness while you are studying, make sure you get fully immunised before you travel to New Zealand for:
- measles, mumps, rubella (MMR)
- meningococcal ACWY
- pertussis (whooping cough)
- varicella (chicken pox) immunisation is also recommended.
If you cannot get immunised before you arrive, you can arrange this at Student Health, ideally before your classes start. There will be a cost for the meningococcal ACWY, pertussis, and varicella immunisations. The measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) immunisation is free.
We also recommend you get the flu vaccination when it is available at the start of winter. This is free for all students through Student Health.