Our Foundation Studies Programme will help international students who don’t meet our entry requirements to prepare for undergraduate study.
The Victoria University of Wellington Foundation Studies Programme is delivered by our partners at UP Education. It offers successful students guaranteed entry into Victoria University of Wellington’s undergraduate programmes.
About the programme
- Our Foundation Studies curriculum develops subject knowledge and skills as well as entrepreneurial enterprise, leadership, and team skills to equip you for university.
- Special courses in English for Tertiary Study and New Zealand Culture and Society further prepare you for study at university level.
- You can study any subject of your choice. Subject options include Calculus, Design and Society, Environmental Science, Health Studies, Introduction to Accounting, Macroeconomics, Management Studies, Marketing, Media Studies, Microeconomics, Physics, Psychology, Quantitative Methods, Statistics, and Tourism.
- Our programme offers flexibility with four intakes per year. Depending on your academic background and level of English, you can choose from 6-, 8/9-, 12-, and 18-month course options (two, three, four, or six terms).
What the programme offers
- a supportive and personalised learning environment
- highly qualified, caring, and experienced teachers
- a tutor who helps you develop and reach your achievement goals
- blended and online learning to cater to students located in New Zealand and those studying by distance in their home country
- a purpose-created iPad for every student for the duration of the programme.
For more information and how to apply, go to the UP Education website.
Where you will study
UP Education is conveniently located in the Wellington Railway Building in Central Wellington, a short walk from the University's Business and Law faculties. Its central location allows you easy access to public transport, accommodation, shops, cafés, and restaurants.
With regular scheduled visits to Victoria University of Wellington, you will have an easy transition into your degree study after completing your Foundation Studies programme.
Two offers of place from the start
When you apply for the Victoria University of Wellington Foundation Studies Programme, you will receive two offers of place at the time of application: a letter of offer for the Foundation Studies programme, and a conditional letter of offer for an undergraduate degree at Victoria University of Wellington.
Your University offer will be updated to an unconditional offer of place as soon as you have officially applied to the University and successfully completed the Foundation Studies programme.
The following scholarships are exclusive to UP Foundation Studies students. They are awarded towards the tuition fees of the first year of undergraduate degree study at Victoria University of Wellington. Students will be assessed for these scholarships upon their completion of the programme, and each student can only receive one of the awards.
- NZ$5,000 for a student with good academic grades who is involved in the extracurricular and community activities on offer by UP Education
- NZ$5,000 for the top two academic performers in each graduating cohort
- NZ$3,000 for the students who place third and fourth academically in each graduating cohort
- NZ$500 for any student who achieves an overall score of 70 percent or higher.
2021 term dates
These start dates include orientation, which all students are required to attend.
Tuesday 26 January–Thursday 1 April
Monday 19 April–Friday 25 June
Monday 12 July–Friday 17 September
Monday 4 October–Friday 10 December
About UP Education
UP Education has university pathway programmes and eight vocational colleges at 50 campuses across Australasia. With more than 14,000 students, our partners at UP Education are dedicated to helping students unleash their potential and build brighter futures.
Find out more about the programme and how to apply on the UP Education website.