How to pay

There are various ways you can pay your fees. Learn about the different methods on this page.

New international students

If you have applied to study at Victoria University of Wellington you need to pay your fees before you arrive in New Zealand to meet the conditions of your student visa.

When to pay

You need to pay your fees in full before your courses begin.

For students commencing study in Trimester 2, 2024, you need to pay your fees by Friday 5 July 2024.

If you are unable to pay your fees by the due date, contact

Fees-free study

You should check if you are eligible for fees-free tertiary study well before courses begin. You are responsible for making sure that your eligibility is confirmed before your fees are due.

How to pay

Information provided here is for tuition fee payments. Ensure you follow payment advice provided by the Accommodation office when making payment for your hall of residence.

If you are a domestic student, you can pay your fees in these ways:

Family members, employers, and other third parties paying fees on your behalf can also use the online payment portal.

If you are a new international student, find out how to pay your fees.

Pay by instalments

Domestic students not paying by student loan who commence study in trimester 1 and register in multiple courses over the year can delay the due date of their trimester 2 course fees until July. This is called paying in instalments.

Contact the student fees advice team at to arrange to pay your fees in instalments.

Failure to pay in full

If you don’t pay your fees when they are due, there will be consequences for your enrolment, and for your visa if you are an international student.

Late payment fee

If you don’t pay your fees in full by the due date, we will add a late payment penalty of $154 to your account. If you think that you won’t be able to pay your fees in time, you must contact the student fees advice team at

We will not accept non-payment of fees, ceasing to attend classes, or verbally advising a member of staff as notice of withdrawal from a course or courses.

Enrolment impact

If you do not pay your fees by the due date, you will be unable to enrol in other courses, receive a transcript or academic certificate, or have a degree conferred.

The University reserves the right to temporarily cancel your enrolment until your fees are paid in full. If fees remain unpaid, we may refer your debt to a debt collection agency.

Student visa impact

If you are an international student and you haven’t paid your fees, we may cancel your visa to study at Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University of Wellington. We will notify Immigration New Zealand.

Student ID cards

Your Student ID card will only be issued or updated if you are up to date with your fee payments or if your student loan has been approved.

You need your Student ID card to use the Library, and to access Halls of Residence and the Student Computing Suites after hours, as well as to access discounts and other student services.