If you do not achieve University Entrance but do meet certain academic requirements, you can start a Bachelor’s degree in a restricted programme of study.
The Provisional Admission category provides direct admission to Bachelor’s degrees under an initially restricted programme of study. In the first trimester, you will be supported to develop core skills that will set you up for success in your degree and additional support will be provided throughout your first year. As long as you pass your courses in that first trimester, you will be able to progress in your degree of choice.
Students accepted under Provisional Admission can enrol in most undergraduate programmes—see the programme options.
- In your first trimester, you will be restricted to 2 or 3 courses. One of these courses will be EDUC 191: Introduction to Academic Studies.
- Your course schedule for your first year will be set for you based on your chosen degree and major. It will be set to a minimum of 100 points to ensure you are eligible for StudyLink.
- If you pass your Trimester 1 courses, you will be able to change your programme but you will be required to discuss any changes with our advising staff.
- If you fail any of your courses in the first trimester, you will be unable to continue studies toward your degree.
- Provisional Admission is only available for students starting in Trimester 1.
To be accepted for Provisional Admission to Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University of Wellington, you must have:
- an NCEA Level 2 Certificate (or equivalent), and
- at least 14 credits in approved subjects at NCEA Level 3 (or equivalent), and
- been enrolled in Year 13 at a New Zealand Secondary School.
Students over 20 years old who do not have University Entrance should apply through Special Admission.
- Apply for admission under the New Zealand University Entrance category.
- When your University Entrance results are available at the end of January, if you have not achieved University Entrance but have the criteria for Provisional Admission, the University will email you an offer of admission.
- After you receive your offer, you will be asked again to confirm your choice of programme (degree and major).
Select a degree and a major to see the first-year course schedule. The course schedule is still being finalised and is subject to change.