Student ID cards

Once you've enrolled, apply for your Student ID before you start at Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University of Wellington.

Supplying your photo

There are three ways to supply a photo for your student ID:

  • Submit a photo through the Online Enrolment System (OES) when you apply.
  • supply a photo through the post to the Enrolment Office.
  • Email a .jpeg file to with your full name, date of birth, and student ID number. This allows you to quickly collect your ID card from the Kelburn campus.


All student ID card photos must meet these requirements:

  • File type: .jpg or .jpeg.
  • Include your whole face, facing forward.
  • The photo is full colour and good clarity.
  • No hats or sunglasses.
  • No logos or icons.
  • No other people visible in the photo.

To check your photo meets the requirements, view the examples on the NZ Passports website.

Get your student ID

Before you can get your student ID card, you need to be fully enrolled and have either:

  • paid all your fees, or
  • been confirmed as fees free, or
  • had your Student Loan confirmed by StudyLink.

Once you have sent a photo to, we will email you to collect your ID card from the Enrolments Office, HU103.

If you have not already supplied a photo, email your photo with your full name, date of birth, and student ID number to Your student ID card will then be pre-printed and we will email you when it is ready for collection.

Collect your ID card

Studying by distance in New Zealand

We’ll send your student ID card by post—make sure your contact details are up to date.

Studying by distance outside New Zealand

You won’t receive a student ID card while you are studying outside New Zealand. If you transfer to studying in New Zealand, you will be eligible for a student ID card—contact the Enrolment Office to arrange this.

Studying in 2021

Once you are fully enrolled and your fees have been paid in full, you are confirmed as fees free, or your Student Loan has been confirmed by StudyLink, we will email you to collect your ID card from the Enrolment Office, Level 1, Hunter Building, Kelburn Parade, Gate 2, Kelburn campus.

If your card has expired, come to the Enrolment Office, Level 1, Hunter Building, Kelburn Parade, Gate 2, Kelburn campus, and bring your expired card with you.

Access on your student ID card

Access is granted 10 days before the start date of your course if you are fully enrolled and have paid your fees (or have arranged payment with the Fees team). Your access will continue until 10 days after the end of your course date.

Access is revoked if you receive a fees hold on your account, withdraw from a course, or are not currently enrolled in any courses.

Length of validity

  • PhD and conjoint degrees - Valid for four years
  • Bachelor degrees - Valid for three years
  • Masters degrees - Valid for two years
  • Postgraduate and undergraduate certificates and diplomas, and Honours degrees - Valid for one year

Using your student ID card

You must have a current student ID card to:

  • enrol with our IT services
  • use the printers and photocopiers
  • borrow library books
  • collect assignments
  • enter examinations
  • access student services and support
  • access after-hours computer labs
  • access some halls of residence
  • enter streamed classes
  • make faculty office visits to request documentation such as transcripts, fees, assessments, and to add or drop courses
  • receive discounts for the cable car, some movie theatres, and restaurants.

Replacement student ID cards

Your first student ID card is free. There is a $21 fee for replacing lost or damaged cards.

An exception to the replacement fee may be made under the following circumstances:

  • Your student ID card has expired and you are still enrolled.
  • Your student ID card is faulty (to be tested by Enrolment Office staff).
  • Your wallet/ID card has been stolen and you can provide a police report.
  • You have had a gap in study of two or more years.
  • You have changed qualification (and have not had a card issued for that qualification).
  • You have had an official name change processed and need a card with your new name.

All other exceptions to the replacement fee must be approved by the enrolment manager.

You can request and pay for a replacement student ID online. We will email you when your new card is ready to collect.

If you would like a new photo on your ID, email your photo through to with ‘Replacement ID’ in the subject as well as including your name and student ID number in the body of the email. We will email you when your card is ready to collect from the Enrolment Office (HU103, Level 1, Hunter Building, Kelburn Parade, Gate 2, Kelburn campus).

Thesis students

If you have an active suspension you will lose access.

There is a grace period of access for thesis students after your programme of study has ended or thesis is submitted.

Contact the Enrolment Office

Room HU103 Level 1, Hunter Building, Kelburn Parade, Gate 2, Kelburn campus
Phone: 0800 04 04 04

Postal address

Enrolment Office
Victoria University of Wellington 
PO Box 600
Wellington 6140, New Zealand

Opening hours

Enrolments open Monday–Friday between 8.30 am and 5 pm.