Submit your documentation

To complete your application, you may need to provide documentation like your proof of identity and academic record.

During your application and enrolment process, you will be notified of the documents you need to submit. You need to submit certified copies of the specified documents. Uncertified copies of documents cannot be accepted.

You can upload your documentation through your Pūaha account.

Alternatively, email your certified documents to, or bring the original documents into the Admissions and Enrolments Office (Victoria University of Wellington, Kelburn Campus, Hunter Building, Room HU103). The Admissions and Enrolments Office is open 8.30 am–5 pm, Monday–Friday.

It is important you send these as soon as you complete your online application.

Proof of identity

You may need to send us a certified copy of your birth certificate or passport.

If the name on your application does not match the name on your birth certificate or passport you must also send us a certified copy of your marriage certificate or deed poll to match the name you used on your application.

Proof of citizenship or residency

If you were not born in New Zealand and you do not have a New Zealand passport, you must also send us a certified copy of your:

  • certificate of citizenship or
  • evidence of residency or permanent residency.

Check the Admission and Enrolment Statute for eligibility to study as a domestic student.

Previous academic records

If you have applied for admission based on qualification assessment you need to supply official transcripts of your previous study. We do not accept provisional results.

Certified copies

If you are asked to provide documents for proof of identity, eligibility, or prior academic records, you must submit a certified copy of the document.

Documents can be provided either in hardcopy or as a high-quality digital document in PDF format (i.e., scanned or photographed).

A certified copy must include a stamp/endorsement. The certifying statement must be clear and legible and must be completed for each page of the documents submitted. Each page must be correctly witnessed and be stamped with full name, title, signature, and dated.

You have a range of options—both on and off campus—where you can get your documents certified:

  1. on campus by a staff member from Admission & Enrolment, Wellington University International, Student Success, or Future Students, who has sighted the original document.
  2. off campus by an approved person or agency who has sighted the original document.
    1. Within New Zealand, a copy of a document can be certified by:
    2. Outside of New Zealand, acceptable authorities include:
      • consular officials of an embassy/high commission
      • government/municipal officials with the legal right to take official declarations
      • notary service with the legal right to take official declarations or with an official apostille stamp
      • an officer of the court with the legal right to take official declarations
      • a Justice of the Peace with the legal right to take official declarations
      • contracted international education agencies.

Do not send us original documents through the post. We cannot return them to you.

Non-English documents

If the original is not in English, a certified translation must also be provided, contact NZTC International—The Translation Centre.