New Zealand University Entrance
If you’ve achieved NCEA University Entrance, or if you have a Bursary or pre-1986 University Entrance, you’ll be admitted through this category.
To be automatically accepted into programmes offered, you will need to:
- achieve University Entrance
- fulfil any other degree-specific requirements (e.g. performance audition)
- apply by the deadline.
When applying, select the admission type ‘New Zealand University Entrance Qualification’.
If you are applying for Trimester 3 prior to gaining University Entrance, you must apply for Discretionary Entrance.
University Entrance through NCEA
Due to the disruption experienced by students due to COVID-19, changes to NCEA and UE are applicable for 2022 school leavers.
The NCEA University Entrance requirements usually are:
- NCEA Level 3
- three subjects at Level 3, made up of 14 credits in each of three approved subjects
- 10 credits in literacy at Level 2 or above, from a specified list of standards, 5 credits in reading, and 5 credits in writing
- 10 credits in numeracy at Level 1 or above, made up of:
- achievement standards—specified achievement standards available through a range of subjects
- unit standards—package of three numeracy unit standards (26623, 26626, 26627—all three required)
University Entrance qualifications from 2013 or earlier
If you have already obtained a NCEA University Entrance qualification from 2013 or earlier, the University Entrance requirements that were in effect when you achieved it will still apply to you. Email the Admission Office if you have any questions.
NCEA approved subjects for entrance to university
|Agriculture & Horticulture||Mathematics/Pāngarau|
|Business Studies||Music Studies|
|Calculus||New Zealand Sign Language|
|Chemistry||Ngā Mahi a te Rēhia|
|Classical Studies||Ngā Toi Ataata|
|Construction and Mechanical Technologies||Ngā Toi Puoro|
|Cook Islands Māori||Pāngarau|
|Dance||Painting (Practical Art)|
|Design (Practical Art)||Photography (Practical Art)|
|Design and Visual Communication||Physical Education|
|Digital Technologies and Hangarau Matihiko||Physics|
|Drama||Printmaking (Practical Art)|
|Earth and Space Science|
|Education for Sustainability||Pūtaiao|
|German||Sculpture (Practical Art)|
|History of Art||Te Reo Māori|
|Home Economics||Te Reo Rangatira|
Applying with a pre-NCEA University Entrance Qualification
You will be admitted to Victoria University of Wellington if you have a New Zealand University Entrance qualification gained prior to 2004, consisting of:
- from 1993 to 2004: Higher School Certificate and a C grade or higher in each of three New Zealand University Entrance, Bursaries, and Scholarships (NZUEBS) subjects; or an A or B Bursary
- from 1986 to 1992: a D grade or higher in each of four NZUEBS subjects
- before 1986: the University Entrance qualification (by accreditation or examination).