Care after sexual harm

If you have experienced any type of sexual harm, our Mauri Ora team of doctors and nurses can help.

For non-urgent support, advice or medical care, please call 04 463 5308 and talk to the triage nurse, who will be able to make an appointment on your behalf. If you would like to book directly with one of our doctors who has specialised training in this area, visit the bios on our webpage for more information.

If you need immediate care (i.e. you have experienced sexual harm within the last 7 days or are experiencing any concerning symptoms), you should contact the local specialist sexual assault clinic for medical care. They offer a safe environment and sensitive medical and forensic care for people aged 14 years and over who have experienced sexual assault or abuse. You can access their team any time for medical care and support, including prevention of pregnancy, STI, and injury treatment. They can also collect forensic evidence for the Police if you decide this is how you want to proceed.

If you simply need someone to talk to, Wellington Sexual Abuse HELP operates a 24-hour crisis support line and has on-site support workers. They are there to listen and help, and can support you if you decide to go for a forensic medical examination or report to the police. You can call them on (04) 801 6655 and push '0' at the menu.

You can also contact the New Zealand Police if you are concerned about safety, would like advice, or if you would like to report what happened to you.

These services are free, no matter whether you are a NZ resident or an International student.

For support within the university, or advocacy in terms of your studies, please contact the Student Interest and Conflict Resolution Team or the VUWSA advocacy service.