If you need to get medical treatment outside of our normal hours, you can talk a GP online through Practice Plus or go to the Wellington After Hours clinic.
Practice Plus is an online health service available to students enrolled with Mauri Ora—you use your phone or computer to have a virtual consultation with a GP. This service can be used when you can't access your regular doctor, for example, outside of the normal operating hours of Student Health.
Practice Plus is available on weekdays from 5 pm to 10 pm, and on weekends and public holidays from 8 am to 8 pm.
Students who are registered with the Student Health service can use Practice Plus with no charge using the code VUW-200 (offer valid until 25 June 2023). If you are not registered with Student Health, you may be charged for this appointment.
Visit the Practice Plus website
Wellington Accident and Urgent Care Medical Centre
If you need after-hours medical attention, you can visit the Wellington Accident and Urgent Care Medical Centre (also known as the 'After Hours Centre').
They’re located at 17 Adelaide Road, Newtown. You can phone them on 04 384 4944.
Visit the Wellington After Hours Centre website
Access to counselling support during closure days and after hours
Here are some of the services available that offer support, information, and help. All services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, unless otherwise specified.
- Need to talk? Free call or text 1737 any time for support from a trained counsellor.
- Lifeline – 0800 543 354 (0800 LIFELINE) or free text 4357 (HELP)
- Suicide Crisis Helpline – 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO)
- Healthline – 0800 611 116
- Samaritans – 0800 726 666
- Youthline (4–11 pm) – 0800 376 633
- Alcohol and Drug Helpline (10 am–10 pm) – 0800 787 797
- OUTline LGBTQIA+ affirming support line (10am–9 pm weekdays, 6–9 pm weekends) – 0800 688 5463
- Help Wellington – Sexual violence experienced recently or in the past? For support or crisis intervention call (04) 801 6655 and press 0
- Impacted by sexual harm – Contact Safe to talk He pai ki te kōrero for confidential support from a trained specialist. Call 0800 044 334, Text 4334, Livewebchat https://www.safetotalk.nz, email email@example.com