Flexible study options

Take advantage of our flexible study options—choose a conjoint or double degree, or a double major.

Conjoint programmes

If you have more than one area of interest, we encourage you to consider either a conjoint or double degree (e.g. the BMus with another undergraduate degree), or a double major or double specialisation within the BMus.

A conjoint degree programme allows students to complete two three-year degrees within four years of full-time study.

Victoria University of Wellington has a wide variety of undergraduate degrees that can be studied together in a conjoint degree programme. This enables students to choose a mix of subjects which suit their strengths and career aspirations. Many students combine, for example, a BMus with a BA degree because a number of courses can be credited to both degrees.

The time taken is shorter than a double degree and requires a good level of academic progress to stay in the programme. Students normally choose to enrol in conjoint degree programmes from their second year of study.

The following general conditions apply:

  • No more than two degrees may be involved.
  • No 300-level course may be used to satisfy major requirements for more than one degree.
  • You may cross-credit no more than 180 pts between two degrees.
  • All degree requirements shall be met, except that the total number of points required at specific levels varies according to the combination of degrees.

Read the conjoint and double degree information on the university website for further information including a list of possible conjoint degree programme combinations.

Double degree

A double degree is the general term for studying for two degrees, whether at the same time or consecutively. Students may cross-credit 120 points between the two degrees.

Double majors

You may complete the BMus with more than one major, for example, a BMus majoring in Classical Performance and Music Studies. You must:

  • fulfill the overall degree requirements and
  • fulfill the requirements of each individual major. 100- and 200-level courses may be used to fulfil the requirements of more than one major but the 300-level requirements must be completed separately.

Double specialisations

For any major divided into specialisations (Music Studies, Composition) you may complete that major by:

  • completing the requirements for one specialisation, for example, a BMus majoring in Composition with a Sonic Arts specialisation, or
  • completing the requirements of two specialisations by completing both the overall major requirements and the individual requirements for each specialisation. For example BMus majoring in Composition with specialisations in both Sonic Arts and Instrumental/Vocal.
  • Students enrolled in both specialisations may cross-credit courses that fulfil the requirements of both specialisations at 300-level.