Club and individual funding
Student clubs, societies and individuals can apply for funding to assist with one-off events, asset purchases and activities that are organised for students.
A portion of the student services levy is reserved each year to help clubs operate and to run their events. Individuals who are developing their skills through extracurricular activities can also apply for funding.
Decisions are made by the Funding Panel, which is made up of students and staff at the University.
You should apply at least eight weeks before an event to ensure funds are received in time, should your application be successful.
Funding Rounds for 2023
|1||5pm Wednesday 8 March 2023|
|2||5pm Wednesday 3 May 2023|
|3||5pm Wednesday 19 July 2023|
|4||5pm Wednesday 6 September 2023|
|5||5pm Wednesday 11 October 2023|
All clubs and groups must be fully registered with Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University of Wellington to be eligible for funding.
All individuals must be current students at Victoria University of Wellington in the academic year for which you are applying for funding. Individuals can only apply once per year.
Individuals applying for funding are expected to be participating in cultural, sports or other events at a national or international level.
Funding won’t be granted to students attending academic conferences as part of their studies, as these events are co-curricular rather than extracurricular. Refer to the Research Office or your faculty directly for conference attendance funding.
Read more about eligibility and the funding criteria in the Funding Guidelines.
- Requests must be specific and supported by a budget or quotes.
- Clubs and groups must provide a complete up-to-date student member list with student ID numbers (not a Facebook print off).
- An official copy of an invitation/ letter of event must be provided where relevant
- It must be demonstrated how funding will benefit your student members.
- A bank deposit slip and copy of a bank statement must accompany all applications.
- Any previous funding received from the pool must be reconciled before a new application is considered.
- Alcohol, ticketed events and personal clothing may not be funded.
- For Individual applications
- Clubs can help members to apply for individual funding by providing a letter of support.
- Individuals must be Victoria University of Wellington students who are selected at a national or international level.
- Academic conferences in regards to students completing their studies will not be funded. Refer to the Research Office or your faculty directly for travel agents.
If your event requires significant funding, you can also apply for funds through the University.
The Clubs team can advise and support you in this.
Conditions for event funding
If your club funding application is for a particular event, Ii your application you’ll need to supply:
- A detailed costing complete with quotes and proof that serious efforts have been made to raise money from other quarters. Remember to show income for the event as well as expenditure. Don’t be afraid to show a profit! It may be your club’s major fundraiser for the year that will go towards achieving annual goals. Or it may be a one-off event to raise money for a specific purpose.
- Proof that the event will benefit club members. The more students who benefit from the event, the more likely it is to receive a grant. Remember to tie it into your club goals and objectives.
- Proof the club has been keeping accurate financial records and is being well managed.
For more information about applying for club or individual funding, contact the Clubs team at email@example.com