Read all about the Concerto Competition that Te Kōkī New Zealand School of Music students can enter, and see past recipients.
The NZSM Concerto Competition is one of the annual highlights of the Classical Performance programme calendar as some of our most impressive and accomplished instrumental soloists compete for the prize of Concerto Competition winner.
A preliminary performance round is held to find up to six finalists each year. These finalists perform their chosen concertos with piano accompaniment in a public performance towards the end of Trimester 1. The winner of this competition is usually invited to perform the entire concerto with its full orchestral accompaniment in the final NZSM Orchestra concert of the same year.
NZSM Concerto Competition winners
- 2020 – Isabella Gregory (flute); Reinecke Flute Concerto
- 2019 – Nick Majic (violin); Sibelius Violin Concerto
- 2018 – Claudia Tarrant-Matthews (violin); Bartok Violin Concerto No. 2
- 2017 – Harim Oh (clarinet); Nielsen Clarinet Concerto
- 2016 – Reuben Chin (saxophone); Villa-Lobos Fantasia
- 2016 – Lavinnia Rae (cello); Shostakovich Cello Concerto No. 1 in Eb major
- 2015 – Xing Wang (piano); Mozart Piano Concerto No. 20 in D minor
- 2014 – James Jin (violin); Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto
- 2013 – Heather Lewis (cello); Elgar Cello Concerto
- 2012 – Sam Jones (saxophone); Ibert Concertino da Camera
- 2011 – Reuben Chin (saxophone); Dubois Concerto for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra
- 2010 – Vivian Stephens (violin); Sibelius Violin Concerto
- 2009 – Andrzej Nowicki (clarinet); Weber Clarinet Concerto No. 2