International students

Information for international students about tuition fees, English language requirements, and what you need to know about moving to New Zealand.

Tuition fees—PhD

The New Zealand Government subsidises fees for international PhD candidates who live and study in New Zealand. This means that international PhD students may be eligible to pay the same ‘domestic’ fees as PhD students who are citizens, residents, or permanent residents of New Zealand.

Fees, funding, and scholarships

Tuition fees—professional doctorates

International students studying the Doctor of Musical Arts will need to pay full international fees. Our health- and education-sector professional doctorates are not generally suitable for international students.

Entry requirements

International applicants are expected to have equivalent academic qualifications to those required of New Zealand applicants.

Entry requirements

English language requirements

If your first language is not English, you must provide evidence of your English proficiency before you will be accepted as a doctoral candidate. The University's English language requirements are strict and are not negotiable.

English language requirements

Arriving in New Zealand

Wellington University International is the part of the University that supports international students. Their web pages have lots of useful information that will help you get ready to move to New Zealand, including about the cost of living, accommodation options, medical and travel insurance, and visa requirements.

Visit the Wellington University International site

Student visa

You don't need to have a student visa at the time of your application to study at the University. You can apply for a student visa after you are accepted as a doctoral student and receive an Offer of Place.

You will need a student visa before you come to New Zealand. Your nearest New Zealand Diplomatic Office can provide you with the necessary information and the forms to complete. Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available from Immigration New Zealand.

Medical, travel, and accident insurance

Most international students are not entitled to freely access publicly-funded health services while in New Zealand, so you need to have appropriate medical and travel insurance.

The Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs.

Find out more about insurance

Pastoral Care

The Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students ('the Code'), published by the Ministry of Education, is a policy specially designed for international students. It sets the standards of advice and care that must be given by an institution to an international student. Victoria University of Wellington has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code.

Copies of the Code are available from NZQA (the New Zealand Qualifications Authority) or on request from Wellington University International.