Become a tutor
Find out about tutoring and how to apply.
Nau mai, haere mai, welcome to our information page about tutoring and applying to become a tutor.
Expressions of interest are invited from our current or soon to be enrolled postgraduate student community approximately 6 weeks prior to the start of each trimester.
Tutors are an integral part of course delivery and are often seen as more approachable than course coordinators and lecturers, and tutorials allow students to ask questions they might not ask in a lecture or by email.
VUW tutoring values
Rangatiratanga - leadership, self-determination
Kaitiakitanga - guardianship; cultivating safe learning
Manaakitanga - reciprocating kindness and generosity; fostering of knowledge
Whaimātauranga - pursuit of knowledge and intellectual curiosity
Akoranga - reciprocal learning and teaching; to learn and to teach
Whanaungatanga - collaboration
Tutoring roles involve the following responsibilities
- preparation for tutorials (including readings and exercises)
- delivery of scheduled tutorials
- attendance at lectures
- availability for specified student consultation each week during teaching times
- marking of student work
- meetings with other tutors and the course co-ordinator
Tutorials usually occur for one hour per tutorial and typically new tutors would take 2 tutorials per week. Tutorials comprise of approximately 18-20 students per tutorial group.
The following paid training is provided to new and returning tutors and is required or recommended:
- New tutors - three hour Introduction to Tutoring Workshop (orientation week and week one of term) - required
- New tutors - two hour Marking and Feedback Workshop (weeks three or four) - required
- New and returning tutors - one hour Health and Safety Briefing (weeks one or two) - recommended
- New and returning tutors - one hour Nuku workshop (learning management system) - recommended
How to apply
An email will be sent to our current postgraduate community within our school requesting expressions of interest to tutor approximately 6 weeks prior to the trimester. All applicants returning or new are requested to have your CV ready to upload (noting prior tutoring/teaching experience if you have this). New to tutoring, please also upload your unofficial transcript or screen shot of your Student Record with course grades if applicable.
To find out more about tutoring in our School please refer to the HPPI Tutor Handbook.
If you have any enquiries about tutoring, please email email@example.com.