Fees and charges
Learn about the fees and charges involved with applying for and living in a hall of residence.
An initial deposit between $560 and $625 must be paid when you accept an offer of a place. The deposit has three components:
- Activity fee: $110 ($75 for University Hall)
- Administration fee: $150
- Bond: $300 ($400 for University Hall)
If you withdraw from the contract before the withdrawal date specified in the contract, the activities fee and bond will be refunded. If you withdraw after the withdrawal date, only the activities fee may be refunded.
The accommodation fees are payable in advance in monthly payments You will be charged your first month before moving in.
Contracts for Trimester One only will also attract an additional levy of 10% to cover the cost of finding a subsequent replacement for the room.
If you withdraw after taking up residence:
- the bond will be refunded (minus any charges for individual or communal damage)
- there will be a further charge for breaking the contract
- you and your guarantor (if you have one) remain responsible for the accommodation fees unless (and until) a suitable replacement takes up residence.
In some halls, the following costs may be additional to the accommodation fees:
- a support services fee for non-Victoria University of Wellington students from 2020 $33 per month.
For information about budgeting for hall instalments or assistance in calculating an individual budget, contact Student Financial Support and Advice.
Another way to help pay for your hall accommodation is to apply for a Victoria University of Wellington scholarship. Listed below are some of the scholarships for which you can apply. There are also international scholarships available to qualifying international students.
Check out a comprehensive list of scholarships on our scholarships database.