Fees and charges

Learn about the fees and charges involved with applying for and living in a hall of residence.


An initial deposit, typically around $600, must be paid when you accept an offer of a place in a hall. The deposit has three components:

  • activities fee
  • administration fee
  • bond.

If you withdraw from the contract before the withdrawal date specified in the contract, the activities fee and bond will be refunded. If you withdraw after the withdrawal date, you will forfeit the deposit.

Accommodation fees

The accommodation fees are payable in advance. Most halls charge monthly fees—you will be charged your first month before moving in.

New Zealand students will not receive StudyLink assistance soon enough to pay the first hall instalment and it will not cover the full cost of subsequent instalments.

Contracts for Trimester 1 only will attract an additional levy of 10 percent to cover the cost of finding a subsequent replacement for the room.

Moving out of a hall early

If you withdraw after taking up residence:

  • you and your guarantor (if you have one) remain responsible for the $500 charge for breaking the contract
  • you will be liable for the accommodation fees unless (and until) a suitable replacement takes up residence.

Additional costs

In some halls, the following costs may be additional to the accommodation fees:

  • electricity
  • food
  • internet
  • laundry
  • telephone.

Financial assistance

We can help you with budgeting for hall instalments, provide budgeting tools, and offer a comprehensive range of financial information and support.

To make an appointment with a student finance adviser, phone 0800 04 04 04, email student-finance@vuw.ac.nz, or visit Info Ihonui, Level 1, Hunter building, Kelburn campus.


Another way to help pay for your hall accommodation is to apply for a scholarship. Find out about our school-leaver scholarships and search our scholarships database.

There are also two accommodation scholarships: