University Hall’s residential accommodation.

Kelburn Flats—Whare Hīnau

The University has more than 40 furnished self-contained houses located close to the Kelburn campus.


Students make their own meals.

Walking time to campuses

Kelburn—5 minutes
Pipitea—20 minutes
Te Aro—20 minutes

Housing style

Houses with varying number of bedrooms:
220 single rooms 
26 twin-share places

About the flats

  • Kelburn Flats—Whare Hīnau is operated by Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University of Wellington.
  • Popular with second-year and above students.
  • Houses range in size from three to 10 residents and are fully furnished. They consist of single bedrooms and twin-share bedrooms. When residents arrive, there will be an equipment hire pack in the house—the one-off cost is dependent on your room type and length of stay. See the list of items provided in the student handbook pdf3.3MB
  • You can request to live in an alcohol-free space.
  • Residents are responsible for cleaning their own rooms and share responsibility for communal areas.
  • Most houses have laundry facilities. The remainder have access to communal laundry facilities.
  • Some houses are suitable for students with disabilities.
  • Limited off-street parking is available at an extra cost. On-street parking can be arranged through the Wellington City Council.

Rental fees

  Per academic year (38 weeks) Per week

Single room


Twin-share room $9,044 $238

The 2024 fees exclude electricity, heating and internet. These services are provided and the cost is an additional $15 per week.

You can purchase a linen pack for $170.00. This includes the follow items:

  • pillow and pillowcase, duvet inner with cover, set of sheets and a fleece blanket
  • bath towel.

Find out when you need to pay accommodation fees and other charges.

Kelburn Flats—Whare Hīnau video and photos


Get involved and meet lots of people at the many inter-hall events. Throughout the year there are sports events, a quiz night, talent quest, film festival screening, and hall formals as well as in-hall activities.


Our dedicated team of hall staff are always there to support you, and contribute to creating a friendly and safe hall whānau culture.

Residential advisers (RAs) are senior students employed and trained by the University to support hall residents. You’ll be assigned to one of them and they are often your first point of contact if you need help. RAs are very approachable and enjoy having a chat anytime. They organise hall events and can arrange study groups.

Student support coordinators are registered health professionals who are assigned to each hall, giving you easy access to counselling support. They also work closely with hall staff to ensure health and wellbeing goals are understood and being met.

Support services

We want you to have a happy and successful time at university and get all the support you may need. Make use of our study skills advice and resources as well as health, counselling, and recreation services. There are mentoring programmes and support networks available within our diverse communities.

Addressing conflict

Living with others can be hard at times. Our halls use a restorative justice process to address conflict and rule breaking. This process requires everyone affected to work together to reach an agreement about what must be done to restore relationships.

The Independent Living Student Handbook pdf3.3MB outlines our behaviour and conduct rules.

For residents of the hall who are not enrolled as students at the University, read our misconduct process schedule pdf212KB

Visit our halls

Contact the hall directly to make an appointment to visit. If you wish to see more than one hall on the same day, make sure you allow at least 30–40 minutes to cover the tour and the time to travel to the next hall.

University Accommodation team location

2 Waiteata Road
Kelburn Campus
Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University of Wellington