Joan Stevens Hall
A first-year hall in the central city, Joan Stevens is committed to developing a culture that encourages involvement, responsibility and achievement.
- A high-rise building housing 242 residents with mostly single bedrooms. There are a small number of en-suite bedrooms for those with a particular need.
- All bedrooms are fully furnished and heated with internet access.
- All 11 floors have a large common room with a kitchenette, study area, television, DVD player and couches at the centre of each floor.
- Joan Stevens' central location means it is a 10-minute walk to Kelburn campus, five-minute walk to Pipitea campus and a 15-minute walk to Te Aro campus. 24/7 camera surveillance around the perimeter and swipe card building access is required.
Fees quoted are for 2021 and are subject to change. Rates will be confirmed when you receive your offer.
- Fee includes electricity, heating, internet and water charges.
- The accommodation fees are payable in advance in four instalments throughout the academic year. If you do not have a New Zealand financial guarantor, then you are required to pay for each trimester upfront.
- The Residential Assistants provide academic help, care, and support, and live on site.
- Regular events are held and study groups are available. Exercise is promoted to encourage a balanced lifestyle
- An architecture and design space is provided.
- Facilities are available for students with disabilities.
The communal dining room serves three meals a day from Monday to Saturday and brunch and dinner on Sundays. Vegetarian options, late dinners and packed lunches are also available. Kitchenettes on each floor have a zip, microwave and fridge.
Wireless internet is available throughout the hall and usage is through the University.
Basic furniture and whiteware is provided by Joan Stevens Hall. Items that are not provided by the hall will need to be supplied by the residents. For a list of chattels provided, view the Joan Stevens Hall Handbook.
Communal coin-operated laundries consisting of washing machines, dryers and tubs are provided.
Residents can store bicycles in a safe area. Secure carparking is also available at cost.
Sky lounge with 3D plasma/home theatre, music room with piano and electronic drum kit, table tennis and pool table, and gaming equipment are available.
PO Box 600
132 The Terrace