An image of the Education House building.

Willis St—Education House

Centrally located, Willis St. Halls - Education House offers self-catered studio accommodation, which may appeal to independent, mature students.

  • Known for its tranquil environment, Education House is best suited to senior students who wish to have the comfort and privacy of their own studio apartment. It is particularly popular with international students as well as those who prefer to cater for themselves.
  • There are 108 furnished single studio apartments available, each with a private bathroom and basic cooking facilities. Residents can choose to bring their own linen or purchase a bedding pack.
  • 5-minute walk to Te Aro campus, 15 minutes to Kelburn campus and 20 minutes to Pipitea campus. Situated on a well-lit street, residents can safely walk to and from their part-time jobs in the city.

Fees quoted are for 2021 and are subject to change. Rates will be confirmed when you receive your offer.

  • Fees include electricity, heating and water charges. Heavy usage of electricity may attract an extra charge.
  • The accommodation fees are payable in advance in four instalments throughout the academic year. If you do not have a New Zealand financial guarantor, then you are required to pay for each trimester upfront.


  • Residential Assistants provide academic help, care and support.
  • Nearby, Cumberland House offers a spacious communal lounge, equipped with couches, wireless internet access and vending machines. There is also a games area (pool tables, table tennis tables and giant chess), Sky TV room, study rooms, a gym area and music and projects room. These facilities are available to all Willis St Halls residents. At Education House, a television lounge and meeting space is also available on the ground floor.
  • Contact us or the Accommodation Service to discuss any needs.



Residents self-cater.


All studios are equipped with broadband capabilities and internet usage is through the University.


Basic furniture and whiteware is provided by Willis St. Halls. Items that are not provided by the Hall will need to be supplied by the residents. For a list of chattels provided, view their Resident Handbook.


Communal coin-operated laundry is available with washing machines and dryers.


Metered street parking available.


Contact details

Postal address

Willis St Halls
237 Willis Street
Te Aro
Wellington 6011


Willis St Halls
237 Willis Street
Te Aro
Wellington 6011