Move-out day for first-year hall, flat and apartment residents is in late November each year. Get up to speed with what you need to do.
Moving a large number of students out of a hall in a short time frame can be a bit of a challenge for everyone and requires patience and some planning ahead.
If you’re moving out of your hall in the next few weeks, read the information below and make sure you know what to do to ensure moving out is smooth and easy for everyone.
Step 1: Fill in the Move-out form on the accommodation portal.
Residents need to notify hall staff of when they are moving out of the all, using our move out form on the accommodation portal. This form also asks you to check your banking information is correct, so you can receive your bond refund.
Once hall staff have your day and time, they will send you the following information:
- the confirmed time of your move out inspection
- a cleaning checklist that outlines what you need to clean prior to your move out inspection.
If you’re in a first year hall
- Allow at least 30 minutes between your booked move-out time and your planned departure from the hall, so staff have time to complete your move out inspection.
- If you are leaving on the last day, you’ll need to be checked out by 10am.
If you’re in an independent living hall
- Allow at least 2 hours between your move-out inspection time and planned departure from the hall or flat, so staff have time to complete the inspection.
- If you are leaving on the last day, you’ll need to be checked out by 12pm.
Step 2: Get your room ready for moving out
When you have spare time before move out day, there is a lot you can do to prepare:
- Log any maintenance requests on the accommodation portal for anything you have not reported.
- Donate any items like clothes, blankets, and furniture you no longer want. Check with your hall staff as your hall may have set up a collection point for unwanted items.
- Throw away any rubbish that can’t be used or recycled. Your hall will have a designated rubbish facility for you to use.
- Give your room a good clean before you move out. Your hall will have cleaning packs and equipment like vacuum cleaners you'll be able to use.
Step 3: Move out inspection
- Hall staff will complete your move out inspection at the confirmed time. If your room is not up to standard, you may be charged a cleaning fee that will be deducted from your bond.
- Hand over your key and/or swipe card to the staff member checking your room, or drop into the office.
- Scan your QR code to check out.
Staying in Wellington in 2024
Independent living halls move-in process
If you are moving into one of our independent living halls direct from your first-year hall, you can usually move in the same day as leaving your first year hall. You can request this in advance by emailing your trimester 3 hall.
- Please be mindful that residents will also be moving out of independent living halls. You will need to be patient around moving into your new accommodation and give hall staff time to get your room ready.
- You’ll be able to leave your belongings somewhere secure at the new hall and leave until your room is ready.
Our halls are unable to offer storage facilities over the summer. There are several storage facilities in the city that provide short term storage options.