Tsunami are long, high sea waves, usually caused by earthquake. They can be extremely hazardous, and cause widespread damage. Find out what steps to take.
Preparing for a tsunami
- Know where the nearest high ground is and how you will reach it.
- Plan to get as high up or as far inland as you can.
Refer to the Wellington tsunami evacuation zone map to determine if you are in an at risk area.
When to evacuate
Move immediately to the nearest high ground or as far inland as you can, if you:
- feel a strong earthquake that makes it hard to stand up
- feel a weak rolling earthquake that lasts a minute or more
- see a sudden rise or fall in sea level, or
- hear loud and unusual noises from the sea.
If there are evacuation maps available, follow the routes shown.