Fire evacuation procedures
Know what to do if you discover a fire, and how to evacuate if you hear the continuous sounding of a fire alarm.
If you discover a fire
- Operate the nearest red fire alarm call point by breaking the glass and pressing the switch down.
- Call 8888 (0800 842 8888) and advise Campus Security.
- Call 111 and ask for the Fire Service.
- Use fire fighting equipment only if you are confident and it is safe to do so.
If you hear continuous sounding of an alarm
- Don't linger, leave the building as quickly as possible.
- Don't attempt to return to your room.
- Don't run—keep calm.
- Don't use lifts—keep left on stairs.
- If you are unable to go down the stairs due to an impairment, find a safe spot in or near the stairwell and alert someone that you need help.
- Don't return to the building until the all-clear is given.
- Assemble at your safe assembly point and keep well clear of the building.